Vistors to Thailand share a common ‘to do’ list whilst enjoying the “land of smiles”. At the top of this list is the opportunity to get their hands and their mouths wrapped around Thailand’s abundance of tropical fruit.
Many Westerners find themselves over indulging on the many savory fruits available here in amazing Thailand. One fruit that has been given global acclaim and recognition is the Mangosteen fruit; simply referred to in Thai as, Mangkhut. This delicious tropical fruit is found in abundance throughout South East Asia;
Thailand is no exception. From around June-September you will see little road side stalls set up with Mangosteen being sold in mass quantity. It’s also quite common to see an open bed pick-up truck pulled over on the side of the road selling these luscious purple bulbs right out from the back of the vehicle. No sticker on the truck communicating fruit inspection approval; no way! Just a local grower dawning a truck load of fruit, a small tarnished scale and a grand smile as passer byes stop to buy the fruit known as the “Queens fruit”. Rumor has it that Queen Elizabeth was said to have offered knighthood to anyone who could deliver her one unblemished Mangosteen; which no one was ever able to accomplish.
Also, that Queen Victoria had offered 100 British pounds to anyone who could bring her an unspoiled Mangosteen. By looking at the fruit you would not be surprised by its given nickname. As it is presented in a royal purple casing with the exocarp revealing snow white flesh likened to the spokes of a wheel.
The seeds within are often times soft enough to eat and those that cannot be eaten are easily discarded. By gently pressing towards the center of this lovely violaceous capsule easily gains the recipient access to an aromatic, mildly sweet and succulent gift from Mother Nature herself. For centuries the Western world has coveted this impeccable fruit.
And now even more so with research studies that are unlocking the amazing health benefits to this Asian jewel. Here are “7” great reasons why many are flocking to Mangosteen.
- Antioxidants: Compounds known as xanthones have been found to provide several benefits such as anti-inflammatory. More and more illnesses are being discovered as coming through inflammation.
- Time of the Month: Believed to reduce premenstrual symptoms such as mood swings, hypertension, irritability and dizziness.
- Rich in Fiber: Provides great fiber and contains no saturated fat or cholesterol. Great for the weight conscious.
- Rich in “C”: High in vitamin C; making it a powerful antioxidant. Providing resistance against colds, flu and a compromised immune system.
- Circulation: Increases red blood cells and helps to prevent against anemia. Blood flow increases by dilation of blood vessels which help protect against such ills as high cholesterol, heart congestion and other cardiovascular diseases.
- New skin: Having natural antibacterial and antimicrobial properties, which are great for treating common skin issues such as acne, skin blemishes, oily and dry skin.
- Cell repair: High in antioxidants the aging process is slowed down as healing agents ward off the damages brought on by free radical activity.
Mangosteen is difficult to come by for most Westerners and quite expensive when available. Today most are turning to Mangosteen juices sold readily in grocery stores.
Although these juices have gone through processing there will still be some nutritional value provided. Obviously not as much as would be if you were to actually sit down and enjoy eating Mangosteen freshly picked. Keep in mind that you are more than likely drinking a juice made with either Mangosteen extract or concentrate; which is not 100% pure juice. Other juices or water have been added to make up the bulk of the product.
When it comes to Mangosteen; my simple advice to you is this. Whilst here on holiday take advantage of eating and enjoying fresh Mangosteen; your taste buds and your body will greatly reap the benefits.
Zina is the founder of “i AM WOMAN”.
Educating woman to discover their health and beauty from the inside out;
overcome weight issues, sickness and disease.
Want to know more.
over 2 years ago